Search this Blog

Sunday 30 January 2011

Exploring Poetry - Fibonacci Poems

Welcoming you all to week 4 of " Exploring Poetry ".Every week a new prompt is published here on " Monday " and stays open until further notice .Any poems on any themes selected by the respective owner should be written based only on the chosen Poetry Form.Each time when a new prompt is put up , you will be given an example(own) to start with.You can write and link them up or else if you have already one ,you can link it up that too .

Today's Prompt : FIBONACCI POETRY


What is Fibonacci poetry?
Fibonacci poetry is a form based on the Fibonacci number sequence.The Fibonacci sequence begins with either zero or one, followed by one, and proceeds based on the rule that each number called a Fibonacci number is equal to the sum of the preceding two numbers. The sequence begins like this:

1 + 0 = 1
1 + 1 = 2
2 + 1 = 3
3 + 2 = 5
5 + 3 = 8
8 + 5 = 13
13 + 8 = 21
and so on.

Fibonacci poems can be written in two ways:
1) in numbers of syllables (syllable-based )or
2) in numbers of words(word-count-based).

Most people write their poems so that each line contains the number of words of its place in the sequence, and some use the sequence to determine the number of syllables in each line. Both methods follow a growth pattern giving the poem a wonderful look.

Example:  Syllable-based Fibonacci poems
PROPHESY
Pass
Fail
I Wondered
Exam results near
I walk past the class to its rear
Found a place alone,took a coin from pocket and tossed
It was heads which I expected for a pass and a satisfied feeling filled in me
Call it false prophesy but this method of tossing coins along with my four senses of touch, feel, sense and hear tells what I believe to be 


Click ,Write and Link : Its just another place where we learn and share

10 comments:

  1. I like your poems. I really like that they have interesting and neat concepts behind a lot of them. I'll definitely have to read more. I'll have to show my daughter as well. She really likes poems like that. She wrote one where you can read it top to bottom or bottom to top and it has the opposite meaning either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bryan for your comments.Like to see you more on my blog.
    Would like to see your daughter's poem...post it on your blog and let me know

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here you go:

    http://lwht96.blogspot.com/2011/01/truth-poem.html

    She's got her own thing going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice..Will go and have a look now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Worked up two, Uma. Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kim,enjoyed your play with the Fibonacci.
    @rmp -Interesting play.

    Thank you for playing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have attempted this form of poetry many times. I'm very fond of this form.

    This is the link to one of them and hope you find it interesting.

    http://nankablogs.blogspot.com/2010/08/nesting-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting. I'll have to try it some time.

    In the meantime, I'm here from the Monday Potluck, and my form this week is Italian (aka Petrarchan) sonnet: http://shawnbird.com/2011/02/07/reclining-angels/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I thought I posted this here today but do not see it so here it is again. Thanks so much for telling me about Fibonacci poetry. These numbers and patterns in nature have fascinated me for years but never thought of using the number sequence for poetry. http://patcegan.wordpress.com/2011/09/10/fibonocci-poem-1/

    hugs, pat

    ReplyDelete